Initial Level of Care Assignments
A level of care must be assigned before a child, who is 48 months or older and in the care of the
Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Family Services (CHFS),
can be placed in a Private Child Care (PCC) residential or foster care program (SOP 4.11). This allows the program's
daily payment (per diem) to match the child's needs.
- An initial LOC must be obtained prior to placement in a PCC residential or PCC foster care program.
- If a child is in an emergency shelter without a valid level and it is aniticpated that the child
will remain there more than 30 days, the Social Services Worker must make a referral for level
assignment by the 20th day of placement.
- For an initial LOC to be assigned, the DCBS worker must provide the following information to the
Children's Review Program:
- Completed DPP-886: Private Child Care Client Inter-Agency Referral Form.
- Completed DPP-886A: Application for Referral/Needs Assessment (must have been completed within 30 days of
level assignment to be accepted). This is the primary source of information about children who are referred
for LOC assignment. Therefore, please provide as much detailed information as possible. Give specific examples
of the child's current behavior and history of special needs and behaviors. Incomplete or inaccurate information
may result in an incorrect LOC which may impact placement. Enter the information or N/A in each blank.
- DPP-1251A Placement History Log.
- The Achenbach Child Behavior Checklist
(CBCL) for children with IQs of
70 or above. For children who are at least 6 years old, CBCLs may be completed on-line.
For children between 1.5 and 5 years old, a hard copy
form must be used and mailed to CRP (no faxes accepted). In "Emergency"
situations, the SSW may get permission to request a level assignment without a CBCL. CBCLs must be completed
within 30 days of level assignment to be accepted.
- Most recent psychological or psychiatric evaluation that reports the child's current
needs and gives a diagnosis, if available.
- This information may be faxed to CRP if the CBCL is completed on-line. The fax number is (859) 225-3565. It can also be mailed
to Children's Review Program, 1351 Newtown Pike, Building 3, Lexington, KY 40511-1278.
- If the above information is complete, the resulting LOC will be faxed to the DCBS worker on the DPP-886
with the CBCL narrative report (if the hard copy CBCL was used). Incomplete or missing information can lead
to delays in assigning LOCs or incorrect LOCs and placements.
- A LOC that does not appear to accurately reflect the child's level of need may be
redetermined by the Children’s Review Program at the
request of the DCBS worker or the PCC.