How to Complete the Online Achenbach Child Behavior Checklist (CBCL age 6-18)
The online CBCL can only be used for children age 6 and above. CBCLs for children under age 6 require a paper form
that can be obtained by contacting CRP at (859) 455-7452.
ACCESSING THE ON-LINE CBCL
If you are a DCBS worker or PCC staff and would like information about accessing the on-line CBCL or would like to register as a user,
contact Tye Reece or phone at (859) 455-7452 (ext. 228).
FINDING A CHILD'S RECORD
- DCBS Only: Click on "State Worker" in the upper left corner and click on "CBCL".
Enter the child's Social Security number (9 digits, no dashes). Then click on "Search for Child".
If this does not access the child's information, click the "Name" button to search for the
child by entering partials of any of the following: 1) last name, 2) first name or 3)
first and last name. Then click on "Search for Child".
- If the child is in the system:
- and the search was done by SSN, you will be presented with the child's CBCL records.
- and the search was done by name; you will be presented with a list of all possible matches
for the name. Click on the child's SSN (CRP Case Number) of the desired child. You will
then be presented with the child's CBCL records.
- If the child is not in the system:
- you will receive a message "No Records Found". To avoid
duplication of child records, you are required to search for the child by SSN and by name.
Once you have completed both searches, the "Add a Child" button will appear on the screen.
Click the "Add a Child" button.
- complete all the requested information (SSN= 9 digits, no dashes).
- If you do not have a child's SSN, you may assign a temporary case number by clicking on
"Get Temporary Case Number". Please only use this if a SSN is not available.
- you must enter the "SSW County" before entering "SSW Name".
- once all items are completed, proofread your entry and click "Save Child Information"
and you will be taken to that child's CBCL screen.
- If you want to learn more about the CBCL, click the link "Child Behavior Checklist for Ages 6-18 (CBCL/6-18)"
at the top of the webpage to view the official ASEBA
- PCC only: Click on "PCC Worker" in the upper left corner and click on "CBCL". This will
bring up a list of children that are in your program according to the CRP database.
If the child you wish to enter a CBCL for is not listed, please email
Tye Reece or by phone at
(859) 455-7452 (ext 228).
- If you see the name of the child for which you would like to enter a CBCL, click on the child's
SSN (CRP Case Number) of the child. You will then be presented with the child's CBCL records.
COMPLETING A NEW CBCL
- Click on the "Enter New CBCL" button. Complete each page using the most accurate
information you have. Click "Next" when you are done with each page.
- The final screens of the on-line CBCL contain Problem Items. Answer all Problem Items
1-113 using the most accurate information you have for the child's behaviors now
or within the last 6 months. Once you have completed and proofread the problem items,
click "Submit". If you leave 8 or more items blank, the CBCL will be invalid and you
will be prompted to return to complete the items previously left blank.
PRINTING A CBCL NARRATIVE
- Once a CBCL has been successfully submitted, you will be returned to the child's CBCL
screen. Click "Print Narrative" for the CBCL you just entered (under "CBCLs Completed")
- To print the narrative report it is best to select "Acrobat (PDF) file" from the "Select
a Format" drop down menu and click "Export" next to it. You must have Adobe Acrobat
installed on your computer to do this. This will route you to a screen that says
"Do you want to open or save this file?" Click "Open" and the narrative will be opened
in Adobe Acrobat from which you can print the narrative.
- It may also be possible to print using the print icon next to the "Export" link; however
this is dependent upon your computer settings.
- To exit the Adobe Reader window, click on red X in the top right corner.
COMPLETING A PARTIALLY COMPLETED CBCL
- In the "CBCLs in Process" table, you can see if a CBCL has been started
but not completed, for this child. The web application allows you to start a CBCL and leave it unfinished
so that you may come back to it at a later time. Incomplete CBCLs are stored for 30 days,
after which they are deleted. You can see the date the CBCL was started, the date by which
it must be completed, and the number of days remaining before the partial CBCL will be
deleted if not completed. Click on the "Continue Entering CBCL" link to continue working
on the partially completed CBCL.
- In the bottom table are the past, completed CBCLs for the child. You may click on
"Print Narrative" link to view and/or print a copy of any narrative report for this child.
- You can "log out" on the upper right corner of the screen at any time.
- If you log out during the entry of a CBCL, you can return later (within 30 days)
to complete it. To return to the unfinished CBCL, follow the steps above but
instead of clicking on "Enter New CBCL", click on "Continue Entering CBCL" in the
center of the child's CBCL screen under "CBCLs in Process".
- If your keyboard is inactive for 20 minutes, you will automatically be logged out.
- From the report screen, you may "log out" (upper right corner) or "Return to CBCL Home"
(upper left). From the CBCL Home Page, you have the options to "Lookup Different Child",
"Enter New CBCL" (bottom of screen), or "Log Out" (upper right corner).
DCBS LEVEL OF CARE PACKET
To ensure that CRP has the CBCL information that you complete when we conduct our utilization
reviews, please complete the on line CBCL first and then fax the child's ALP.
This will enable us to match the ALP with the CBCL prior to assigning the case to a reviewer,
as both are necessary for the reviewer to accurately assign a level of care.
For any other assistance with registration, login user name, password, or operational
issues email Tye Reece
or phone (859) 455-7452 (ext. 228).